One of my easy ways to make money online.

Friday, September 24, 2010

$#*! William Shatner Told Us: George Takei 'Obsessed' and New Album in the Works



The tweets beget the book which beget the television show. Tonight, CBS premieres '$#*! My Dad Says,' starring the legendary William Shatner as the Dad. The quirky actor engaged in a spit-fire convo with PopEater, rattling off sometimes-wacky answers to questions about the new show, 'Star Trek' fanatics (they're not going to be happy) and the best part ... his plans for a new album.

Tell me about the show, and may I say, you're genius in it.
It's very funny and the cast is fabulous. And yes, I am a genius in it! The most exciting part of the show are the writers and the producers. They are so good -- led by Max Mutchnick and David Kohan.
Oh the guys from 'Will & Grace.'
Exactly. It's such a joy to know that they have a real sense of what they're doing. It is one of the great occasions in my life to be working with such talented people all the way round. You hear actors say that out of lip service, but in this case this actor really means it.

You play, what, a curmudgeon, an asshole, a very truthful guy?
A curmudgeonly asshole.

Can you relate to that?
I don't know any assholes and the word curmudgeon is foreign to me. I don't know, he's just funny. I'm actually the opposite of a curmudgeon. But what I have to do is protect myself in public from people who want something because they see in the celebrity something that could be useful to them. The actors who are popular always have to be on guard because somebody's always wanting something, so that may appear to be unfriendly or curmudgeonly but the fact is we're not.

Do you get tired of it?
You get used to it and it just becomes part of your life.

Are you distrustful of people?
Well, that's a fact of life. A lot of people are after a lot of things. If you can live with that and use it and transform it then you're living your life.

The last few years, your career has taken a completely new turn.
I don't know. I've always been busy but it's all in the perception. If that's what you perceive, then that's the way it is.

Yes, it's always been busy, I just meant suddenly you're Mr. Shatner "funny guy," and 20 years ago I don't think people would have thought of you like that.
Probably not. What would they have thought of 20 years ago?

I think they would have thought of Captain Kirk.
Yeah, maybe. I suppose they would have.

Why do you think George Takei hates you so much?
If you were able to climb into George Takei's mind, you'd be doing a lot better than I. I have no idea. In my opinion the man's obsessed.

Speaking of obsessions. Do you get the obsession of 'Star Trek' fans?
I don't understand it completely, but I accept it without any question.

Does it creep you out?
Not anymore. We're adaptable animals.

Do you understand when people talk about a Shatnerian way of talking?
I don't think that's absolutely true.

You don't think it's true?
Oh, I'm sure it's true, but I don't quite recognize it. I don't hear myself do it because I don't do that.

How old are you?
I'm 25.

Ever get tired on set? It's a lot of work.
They told me it wasn't going to be but it turns out it is. Twelve hours on my feet, expending that kind of energy.

I'd be exhausted.
That's the difference between you and me.

Do you have a little shloof (Yiddish for nap) on set?
[Laughs] There's no time for shloofs.

Had you read the tweets or book before you were cast?
The whole gestalt? Which is better than shloof. I hadn't heard of it until it was presented to me.

Have you met the guy you're playing?

Yep.

Do you like him?

I don't know him. You smile and you put your hand out. You don't know whether he's reaching for a dollar or being a friend.

Wow!
Wait a minute. That "wow" scares me. There's an explanation for that wow. He sticks his hand out and you shake it, you don't know if he's nice or not. I'm sure he's very nice because his son, Justin, works as a writer and he's terrific and a lovely guy.

Do you have plans for another album?
I do.

Have you picked the songs? Is there a theme?
I have.

Want to tell me about it?
No.

Why?
Because it's such a good idea. I don't want anybody to steal it until I finish it. I just heard today that we have some time close to Thanksgiving, so at the end of November I should have all the tracks down.

Just Because It Never Gets Old, Shatner's Classic 'Rocket Man' Performance:

No comments:

Post a Comment